Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Incontinence versus DEATH?

I love Meredith who writes the Baby Bump Project blog. In her post 'Caesareans: preventing the 'trauma' of natural birth' she talks about a surgeon in Sydney who presents cesarean section as a completely 'risk free' option to the 'terrible' outcomes of vaginal birth which includes incontinence. Meredith says in a nutshell:

Right. And what were the risks of caesarean again? Oh that's right. I think DEATH is on the top of the list. I think I'll take a little incontinence (which can be remedied with exercise!) over a casket.

Postscript: The reality is that cesarean section is unlikely to make much difference to incontinence later in life - it is not so much the birth process that causes incontinence, but pregnancy.


Anonymous said...

Yes one of the things about this kind of communication is that people can literally publish whatever nonsense they like - without necessarily being credible and once it's out there the damage is done. Thanks to both sarah and meredith for pulling this surgeon up (did he even provide a name?).
And what about some balance - I could talk forever about the wonderful benefits to my life of naturally birthing vaginally.

Sarah Stewart said...

Same here...and I had 2 episiotomies (vaginal cuts)!!!

mm said...

I love you... truely I do.
C/S for single footling breech... incontinent for months due to abdominal pain *who would have thought an easy simple oh so safe c/s would be painful? snort...
HBAC with 3rd degree tear and a broken tailbone
18 months later another hbac.
My pelvic floor has actually gotten better after each 'birth'.
smooches from Canada!

Sarah Stewart said...

Gosh, mm, you certainly haven't had life easy, have you!? Thank you for dropping by and leaving your comment.

I must say at this point that obviously some Cesarean sections are life saving, both for mum and baby - I have seen that many times in all my years as a midwife. But the growing trend to do them at a 'drop of the hat' is very worrying especially as we do not know what the long term outcomes will be.