Saturday, August 24, 2013

Why I don't blog much any more - and is there a cure?!

I have been blogging since 2007, and up until this time last year, wrote fairly regular posts, at least three times a week. But looking back at the last year, you can see that there has been a rapid drop off, to the point where I wrote just one post in July and again in August.

You could be forgiven for asking why it matters; after all, it may indicate that I have found a life away from the computer, which has got to be a good thing...hasn't it?!

In a way, that has been true. Since moving to Canberra, especially in the summer months, I have been spending more time outside and enjoying the beautiful warm weather, especially on a Sunday, which is when I typically write my blog posts for the week.

But it does matter that I am not blogging much these days because of the benefits I found when I was doing it regularly, which include:
  • a space for reflection;
  • a permanent record of my work, processes, thinking and development;
  • collaboration with people in the online space
  • development of international networks
  • a reputation as a midwifery/educational blogger
  • opportunities for research and work as a result of my blogging.
Because I am not blogging at the moment, I feel as if my networks and the conversations I have been involved with are slowly drying up. And this is not good for my professional growth in the long term.

So why aren't I blogging at the moment?

Much has to do with my new job.  Because it is a national role, I am extremely wary of what I talk about on social media. So I feel I must only blog about "neutral" topics that aren't going to get me into any kind of trouble, which is a tad tricky at times if I cannot come up with any ideas.

I spend a lot of time working on the Australian College of Midwives' Facebook page and use a lot of emotional energy figuring out what is appropriate to post on that page, and responding to comments there. So by the time I get to my social media platforms, I'm too tired to start again with the process. You have only got to look at my personal Facebook page to see how it has changed from a professional page, to almost completely personal comments and links.

On a personal level, I don't have much time where I am completely alone to spend thinking, or I am too tired, and just want to blob and watch reality TV.  And the studying I am doing isn't inspiring any creative thought.

So how do I get my blogging mojo back? Any suggestions?

I would especially love to hear from people who manage professional social media sites - how do you juggle that work with your own social media needs?


Image: 'The Art of Social Media'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93212162@N08/8468788107
Found on flickrcc.net

2 comments:

Michele Martin said...

Oh Sarah, I SO feel you on this. Part of it may just be the new roles you're playing and being active elsewhere in social media. In 2007 when things were so much more active on blogs, we didn't have to worry about showing up on Facebook, Twitter, etc. I find that for me, it can be rough to manage it all, especially since different people are in different places.

I miss the community feel that we had when we first started, the conversations that took place back and forth, the cross-referencing of posts and the deeper thinking it seemed was going on there. I felt like I "knew" people in a way I don't feel on Facebook or Twitter.

I've begun to see blogging as something I do to 1) reflect for myself, with no expectation of feedback or 2) as a way to share information that I think would be helpful to clients. So maybe part of it is considering how you want to use your blog.

It could also mean that you should just give yourself time for a vacation from blogging. :-)

Anonymous said...

I used to blog a lot, several years ago, but since getting a fulltime job as a comms officer, which involves managing a lot of social media and a blog (Nur** Un***)I don't do any personal blogging and mostly use FB to catch up with friends too. So I have no advice, just empathy.