Saturday, March 22, 2014

Two sides to every gardening story

As far as I am concerned, one of the great mysteries of life is how everyone and anyone can grow the most wonderful vegetables in the most unusual pots and challenging locations but I can't!!! 

I know all about vertical gardening....










                                                                                                                   growing vegetables in pots...


making the most of a balcony...

But do you think I can manage anything similar?!  The answer is NO!

I lost track how much I spent this spring on pots, plants and compost, with the view of feeding Africa from the produce I would grow on the balcony of my flat in Canberra. 

This is all I managed....3 tomatoes...and 4 capsicum the size of gob stoppers!


Honestly...I give up!

4 comments:

Jo said...

Don't give up Sarah! I seem to remember that you have had more successful veg in the past. Ours have been really bad this year as well. Very low crops of runner beans, tomatoes, sweet corn, peppers, courgette, beetroot. Only good veg has been bush (french) beans and some cucumbers. Fruit has also been poor very few peaches, hardly any mulberries, low plums. Figs have been OK. IT seems to be the season as others here have also had poor crops.

Unknown said...

If you grow something as greedy as tomatoes in a pot, you need to use fertiliser.
Aternatively, get rid of the pot, put 1/2 m of compost on the floor of the balcony ;-)

Sarah Stewart said...

Hi Herve and Jo, the big problem I think has been the incredibly hot temperatures in Canberra this year, and the fact there is little or no shade from the incredible heat. Hopefully, I'm moving to a house with garden in the next few months, so won't get the same problems...I hope.

Mary Preston said...

If that makes you feel better, I'm not good at growing my own vegetables neither! It's great that Herve and Jo shared their advices, so I learned some trick from them. Thank you !