I have just started looking at the Virtual Birth Unit (BU) and normal birth scenario with midwifery educators in the USA and UK. They want to use the BU with their midwifery students. I suggested we carry out a formal research project to evaluate how the BU impacts on the midwifery students' learning in relation to the learning outcomes of the courses they are taking.
The stage we are at is trying to decide what outcomes we want the students to achieve and how we will evaluate them. Here are some questions that oen of the educators I am working with came up with.
- How do we assess outcomes without a comparison group?
- What outcomes are reasonable to measure?
- Do we measure pre and post simulation?
- How can we best document the value of the simulation and debriefing?
- How do we keep bias out when we are the ones involved in the research and teaching?
Image: Virtual birthing unit. SLENZ tour