I cannot believe I am 50. Where the goodness has the last 50 years gone!?
I am happy to be 50, unlike when I turned 30. I remember sitting on a park bench and sobbing my eyes out at the thought of being 30. I was given a wonderful surprise birthday party by my husband and hated every minute of it. But looking back, I think I might have been suffering a small degree of post natal depression.
Now I am turning 50 I feel very differently. I feel fit and healthy (which is probably due to having just lost 25 kg). I am enjoying my life (probably because the kids have left home at long last!). And I really feel I am facing the peak of my life and achievements. The only thing that is a little scary is knowing I am nearer death than I was 20 years ago. But then again, I am just as likely to be run over by a bus tomorrow, as die of old age when I am 80.
One of my colleagues, Lorna Davies, listed 50 things she wanted to achieve when she turned 50 years old, but I am not that ambitious. So here's my top 5 things I want to achieve now I am 50.
- Become a doctor. I have been working on a doctorate in one form or another for the last 8 years. It's time I became "Dr Stewart"!
- Visit China. One of the things I am mindful of are the opportunities to connect with and learn from Chinese midwives that I am currently missing. This is something I want to remedy.
- Get a tattoo. I have been talking about this for years but still do not know what to get, or where to put it....ideas gratefully received!
- Reach my goal weight. I have another 5 kg to go, so hopefully will achieve this soon.
- Write a book. I have been thinking for quite some time about putting book together from my blog posts. What I need to decide is what my focus will be, so I know what posts to put into this book.