Saturday, April 2, 2011

Fight for homebirth in Hungary

I am a bit slow off the blocks.... I have only just visited the Aljazeera news website. I don't know if you've ever looked at it, but despite having it recommended to me, I haven't engaged with it because of the connotations that run through my head whenever I hear the name. When I put my prejudices aside, I found that it is a really informative website which gives access to some fabulous articles and videos about childbirth and maternity care.

One of the programs I found is about the fight over homebirth that is currently going on in Hungry. A very prominent homebirth midwife, Agnes Gereb has just received a sentence of two years for her practice. I don't know the ins and outs of the case, but it has certainly caused a stir in the international midwifery community. And clearly it is being used to score political points in Hungary.

Here's the link to the program: The battle over birth. A pioneering midwife takes on Hungary's male-dominated medical profession in a bid to change approaches to childbirth.





No comments: