Thursday, April 7, 2011

Planning my funeral

The sad events over the last few weeks caused by the earthquake in Christchurch has got me reflecting on my own mortality. Now that I am heading to the wrong side of 50 I am wondering if I should start thinking about my own funeral.

Start saving
Recently I spent a weekend with a friend who is a funeral director and I have learned lots about funerals. What I didn't realise is that they are jolly expensive - approximately $7000 for a cremation and $9000 for a burial. So I am thinking that I need to start saving now or start one of those special funeral insurance schemes.

On the cheap
One thing I am sure about is...I got married on the cheap and I want to be buried on the cheap. I cannot see any good reason for spending heaps of money on a coffin that will go up in smoke. I cannot bear the idea of people standing around sobbing...I want people to have fun at my funeral, so here's my requests:
  • I want to stay at home until my cremation
  • I don't want an expensive coffin...one of those sustainable, cardboard boxes will do me
  • I don't want a funeral service...just a gathering of friends at the beach, remembering the good times...and drinking lots of Lindauer (New Zealand sparkling wine)
  • I would like to be cremated and then my ashes scattered on Allan Beach, along the Peninsula in Dunedin.

Image: Allen's Beach, Dunedin: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahmstewart/2057766562

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I have been thinking about that myself, as my next birthday draws near. Not being morbid, just being practical. And I do not want to be buried at the family plot under that gaudy headstone my dad picked out. Put me in the forest and throw some flower seeds on top.

Sarah Stewart said...

I have been intrigued about the response to this post, Carrie. I was unsure about writing it but I have had lots of interest. But people have contacted me by email...you're the first person to leave a comments openly on the blog. I am wondering if this is because death is still one of the final taboos? What do you think?

Unknown said...

We do have those life changing experiences that can either make or break us. And what’s important is that these events in your life made you realize worthwhile things. :) Anyway, you’re right, sometimes, it’s not about how things cost but how heartfelt it is for you and for everyone. I hope everything is fine with you now, and I wish you more meaningful experiences ahead! :)

Margo Loveless