Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My nurse's buckle

One of the joys of losing weight is that I can wear things I haven't been able to get on for years, like my engagement ring. The other thing I can get on now is my old nurse's belt and buckle. The last time I was able to wear it was back in the early 1990's - having a second baby more or less put paid to wearing altogether.
The buckle is silver and made in the early 1900s and was given to me by my parents when I became a registered nurse. It was particularly special to me because I failed my nurse registration exams the first time I took them - was too busy playing and not enough time spent revising for my exams! It was a big deal having a real silver buckle back in those days...I doubt nurses are allowed to wear them now...bound to be a health and safety issue!

I don't think you can make out the detail but it is made up of little daises...the detail is quite intricate and pretty. I often wonder who wore it before me...what kind of nurse were they...where did they practice...how did the buckle come to be in a jeweller's shop?

Now that I see belts are back in fashion I am going to get the buckle cleaned up and put on a new belt, and start wearing it again. Then one day I'll pass it on to my daughter and hopefully it will become a family heirloom. You never know...I may have a granddaughter become a nurse, who I can hand it on to.

6 comments:

catkins_in_nz said...

I have and treasure the silver buckle that was my mother's nurse's buckle - a beautiful dragon that she was so proud of. I will try and post you a photo of it Sarah :) So pleased that you are once again able to wear it with such pride! well done!

Sarah Stewart said...

Yes, Please catkins...I'd love to see it...a dragon sounds very unusual.

catkins_in_nz said...

I have put a photo on my facebook page - I hope you can see it - I don't think it will let me put a photo in the comments here.

Sarah Stewart said...

It's stunning...I've never seen anything like it. Thank you for sharing :)

Charlotte Scott said...

Sarah!! Is that really you? You have lost an incredible amount of weight. Love the belt buckle.

Sarah Stewart said...

Yes, it's me. I'm not so skinny as this photo implies, it's just that I have worked out how to stand at a stand-on angle so I look slimmer than I am LOL