Aim of the workshop
To introduce people to various social media tools and resources that can used for communicating with their mentor or mentee.
- Think how you are going to monitor all your different online accounts.
- Think about your online profile, how you want to brand yourself or appear online.
Skype - free calls to anyone in the world who has Skype connection. Can also be used to make free calls to landlines. Can use instant message, voice and video communication.
- Sign up for Skype account.
- Add workshop participants to your contacts list.
- Search for a friend or colleague and add to contact list.
- Send a text message to a contact.
- Call someone on your contact list.
- Sign up for free Vroom.
- Invite a workshop participant to join you in your room.
- Send a text message to the other person.
- Use the audio function and talk to the other person.
- Write a message on the whiteboard for the other person.
Google Documents - collaborate and work on a document, presentation or spreadsheet.
- Make a Google account.
- Make a new document.
- Share it with other workshop participants.
- Edit your document.
- Publish as web page.
- Schedule your next meeting with your mentee or mentor.
Finding and sharing information
YouTube - web site for sharing videos
- Look for a video on how to use Skype, Elluminate or Google Documents.
- Look for a video about topics of interest to you.
- Look for a video related to provision of aged or community care services.
- Look for a video about mentoring.
- Look for a presentation about topics of interest to you.
- Look for a presentation related to provision of aged or community care services.
- Look for a presentation about mentoring.
- Using 'advanced search', look for images that have a Creative Commons license.
Some resources and sites of interest