The aim of the session is to get out and about and look at alternative birthing environments in Second Life and compare them with "Te Wāhi Whānau/ The Birth Place".
Where to go
I only have an hour to travel around and have a discussion so I thought I'd start by taking the students to some of the other maternity units I have found on my travels:
- Dreamscapes Maternity Center
- Jungle Baby Birth Center
- Rock a Bye Babies Maternity Clinic and Birthing Center
- TLC Babies Maternity Pediatric Clinic
I thought we could also have a look at some more 'serious/academic' hospitals that have maternity units such as The Land of the Long White Cloud. There is also the Anne Myers Medical Center but I can never get around it very well.
Finally, to get students thinking, I'll take them to some alternative places that may or may not be appropriate birth places.
- Calleta's Hobo Railroad Infohub
- Virtual Africa inSL
- Lost gardens of Apollo
- Tempura Island
- Koru Island
- Hoisoi Japanese Garden
- Inspire Space Park
- Tranquility Garden
We will then discuss the following questions:
- How could the features of the alternative birthing environments that we have visited be incorporated into the virtual birth unit?
- How do the features of our idealised virtual birthing environment match up with what we see in real life?
If you'd like to join us, please come along on Friday 24th 10am and/or 1pm New Zealand time at the "Te Wāhi Whānau/ The Birth Place".