Nursing and medical resources in Second Life
There are few avenues these days for educational funding in New Zealand so these nurses are going to have to think about how they can utilize resources that are already available in Second Life. So the first step in their collaborative project is to review how nurses and health professionals are using SL.
- Projects in JoKaydia
- Health education in Second Life
- Top 10: Virtual Medical Sites in Second Life!
- SLENZ virtual birthing unit
- Land of the Long White Cloud - virtual hospital
- SL Health - email discussion list for health educators using SL
My advice to nurse educators looking at Second Life is to:
- find a SL mentor and learn as much as you can about how SL works;
- network with other nurse and health professionals using SL using online communication tools such as blogs, YouTube, Slideshare and of course, Second Life;
- develop learning activities in SL that require little or no development to keep things as cheap and easy as possible;
- work alongside your educational institution to ensure you have full access to SL;
- collaborate with each other using virtual tools such as wiki, Google Docs, Skype and SL.