Thursday, May 19, 2011

How can you be a reflective and researching practitioner in an open, online environment?

I have an essay to write for my EdD (which I've left to the last minute as per usual). Here is the title:

Write an essay discussing the theories and practices of being a reflective and researching practitioner.

In the essay we have to put forward an argument for being a reflective and researching practitioner; discuss how the roles complement each other, or not as the case may be; look at the theories of both roles.

I have decided I want to put a little twist on the essay and look at how you can be a reflective and researching practitioner in the open online environment. I would like to look at how being 'open' can enhance reflection, for example using reflective blogs. At the same time there are reasons why researchers are dissuaded from openly blogging etc because of issues of copyright, tensions around intellectual property and funding when working in a university structure, and problems with publishing in open journals.

I want to look at open reflection and research for two reasons; because this is my own personal practice, and the concept of 'open' teaching and learning will underpin my EdD research, whatever that turns out to be.

I've started looking around for some theories and research that will help me answer the question but haven't come across anything that has got me thinking. So if you know any articles or theories that would help me address this essay question, and/or thoughts about this topic, I'd love to hear from you.

6 comments:

Leigh Blackall said...

I can't recall any essays or examples off the top of my head, so I'm just making it up as I go:

My recent essay (in progress) might be an example. Ubiquitous Learning - a critique where I am writing it on Wikiversity, drawing on a wider network for feedback and comment (similar to blogging and comments) but working and reworking the essay up to something like academic, until I am confident to invite review from practicing and professional academics. Their feedback is documented in the discussion page of the wiki, and eventually incorporated into the essay.

I'm repeating this process over a number of papers, all cumulating into a body of work for a PhD.

Copyright and all that low level stuff just don't feature as a consideration in this process, as I believe it beneath the principles of academic development, scientific method and peer review.

Kathleen Zarubin said...

Hi Sarah, I am sure Carole (Coach Carole) had reference to a number of theories and research on the topic ... I tried to find the links but I can't - perhaps you could email her?

Cheers Kathleen

kathleenzarubin said...

Hi Sarah .. I stumbled on the following and thought of you ... :) - Not sure if it is of any value but ...

1. LI Group -The Metagogy Project (http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Metagogy-Project-Starting-discourse-2534619?gid=2534619&csrfToken=ajax%3A3523643914134186464&trk=leena_join&impid=&pgkey=group_most_popular&report%2Esuccess=j6vPkwZev92ySnzj-oKQ650YyyOVWYEgAf9O-9mJ6yjPcUe03J8n13mYCsTFbqgNFEnWL2q27FpSQeME90n5oAA223QAXMtCVFToK36EsXWlovqESG3oQ0W2Tkul-NCNAVnW9TztgG64QnG25dLQL5R2xF94KeME90n5oAA223QAXMtCVFToK36EsXWlovqESG3oQ0W2Tkk1ZRxt3GoL13c0gFn2ZDZUL5LoKOAgjtOA-mC2FIuoQOINk4r1WZx0GCWGK0mz8jXSmU2xXIuoZdzU0j3PbPCCOf6vWlmJujnFQMPgzCWvKkZCEj7VQahJVGgnn6ZtHpT4QRe09HwoKd4HCf31bPYJVGQocFHhT49ImURUO4WGKAStgJ5dKeVY4CQbvl3HJz5VZSIUpFFnWOIYk53FKSngdJ8rnImUCuGSPb4Y9HBvnIPJkyXIQStgzFO3lp8uvGR)

2. A Paper on this - "The Blended Shore Concept" ..

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=1yk8T3EbbpRZkUFw0KDl6YggOc2cUU8wJtYwufAqlI-egNz6R4JYlSPFMsEd9&hl=en_US

Hope the links work .. - Cheers Kathleen

Sarah Stewart said...

Thanks so much for your comments, Kathleen and Leigh. I have written my essay which I thought was rubbish, but it has led to an invitation to publish, so I'm very pleased about that :)

Anne Marie Cunningham said...

Oh wow! You get prompt feedback:) would love to read this

Sarah Stewart said...

Hi Anne Marie, the essay is terrible because I wrote it at the last minute and ran out of time to do it justice. But I am turning it into an article for publication, so will run it past you for feedback when I've finished putting it together. Thanks :)