Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Why is it my kids don't like Skype?

I don't know what it is but I just cannot get my kids (grown up now) to use Skype for audio and video calling. I have been using Skype for years and never have any problems with it. It is easy to use and provides excellent quality calls to one or more (up to about four in my experience) people. But my son and daughter have always rejected Skype.

A couple of years ago, it was all about MSN. Now it is about Facebook. I don't know how long it's been possible to use Facebook for video calls, but I was introduced to it a couple of evenings ago. It appears to work well and integrates seamlessly into Facebook chat. I can see why my children prefer to use Facebook because all modes of communication are merging into one application, which make life so much easier.

As for me, I feel slightly uncomfortable about putting all my eggs into one basket...especially into the Facebook basket. So I am going to be a fuddy duddy and continue to spread myself around...around Skype, Facebook, and Google...although, I know you'll remind me that Facebook now owns Skype. What I would like to try next is find out more about the integration between Skype and Facebook.

What is your favorite tool for audio and video calls? Have you had any experience of calling Facebook friends via Skype? If so, how does it work?

4 comments:

Colin Madland said...

Fb owns Skype?? I thought Micosoft purchased Skype for several million dollars...not sure why they did that though, because Skype is free...silly Microsoft.

Sarah Stewart said...

No, its definitely Facebook that has Skype now: You Can Now Call Facebook Friends From Skype

Hervé said...

Facebook and may be Google talk are using Skype for video calls.
I have used Facebook call for a connection from NZ to the UK and it was working great.

Sarah Stewart said...

I have been playing around with Skype and FB and it seems to depend on the day how each technology works. So we use both, depending...