Sunday, June 14, 2009

Building an audience for your blog

I have been working a lot with newbie bloggers over the last couple of months. This has led me to thinking about tips I would give people who are working to establish their blogs.

Very important tip
One of the most important tips I would give newbie bloggers about attracting readers is to get out and about, and leave comments on other people's blogs. This is not new news - experienced bloggers such as Problogger have been saying this for a long time. But it really does work.

Building a network
But more important than just increasing your blog stats, you will start to build a network of people who you can communicate and collaborate with, which to my mind is the most important aspect of blogging.

I have been very busy lately and have got out of the habit of reading and commenting on blogs. So I have decided to make a pact with myself that I read and comment on at least one blog a day for a month. How about joining me and let me know how you get on. Whose blog did you visit? What did they write that made you want to leave a comment and what did you say?

6 comments:

Sue Waters said...

I'm in two minds in terms of "read and comment on at least one blog a day for a month". Which is weird since we had a bit of criticism during the comment challenge about this topic.

My view is for a blogger reading blogs is an important (essential part) of blogging. Often times I head into bloggers block are when my blog reading declines.

But I don't feel comfortable with the concept of commenting for commenting sake or as a way of building an audience.

Helen said...

HI Sarah
I agree that getting out there and reading and commenting on other people's blogs is a good way to keep the blogging world alive - it's a way to provide feedback to other people about their blog and to invite people to check out your blog.
I like the idea of having a goal of reading and commenting on one blog a day for a month and I think I will try it too and see what happens. Thanks

Helen

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sarah, it's been a while since I have visited your blog and read your "musings." I've been busy working with a class on technology integration with preservice teachers, and the little girl I wrote about not too long ago will be one year old next week!

I am sharing your blog (and this post in particular) with one of my students who is a former pediatric nurse, now seeking elementary education certification. I think she could learn a lot from you. You can find her at her aptly named blog, Nursing a Passion for Education.

Thanks, and it was nice to "see" you again!

Sarah Stewart said...

@Sue Thanks for comments-I totally understand where you're coming from. But for newbie bloggers, I still think its a good (if not only)way of connecting to people and letting people know your blog is there.

As for my good intentions, they've lasted three days :)

Sarah Stewart said...

@thinktime Thanks so much for dropping by. I'll head over to your student and say 'hello'. My blogging has gone a little by the way over the last couple of months but I am about to do some locum midwifery, so hope to get back into it again.

@Helen I haven't been very good at this new resolution but I have been doing a little more reading than previously - let me know how you get on.

Anne Marie Cunningham said...

I think these are good points and they ring through to me. Commenting on others blogs builds a sense of community. It lets people know you are there... is this building social presence?
I guess I could dispute the title of your post more. Building an audience for a blog sounds a bit like getting more followers, although you have not specified that building an audience is simply about getting MORE readers.

I would add that letting people know about your blog posts through twitter is a good idea. People might be ignoring their RSS feeds but read your blog when you let them know about it there and then. On the other hand, lots of announcements about your blog posts can be annoying too!

Thanks
Anne Marie