Monday, January 25, 2010

Preparing for my Midwifery Standards Review: a working midwifery ePortfolio

In order for me to practice as a midwife in New Zealand, I have to have an Annual Practicing Certificate (APC). To keep my APC, I must have a Review of my practice, much like an audit, every two years. This involves reflection on my practice, commenting on my statistics, measuring my practice against the New Zealand College of Midwives' ten standards of practice, reflecting on consumer feedback and developing a professional development plan for the next year. I have to write this up, present it to my Review Committee and discuss any issues that crop up.

Review or no review?
To cut a long story short, even though I do not want to be a clinical midwife any more, I also do not want to give up my APC. My current contract ends at the end of the year, so it is useful to be able to go back to midwifery if I cannot find other employment. Also, I'll need it if I want to do any midwifery consultancy or teaching in Australia. It is easier to keep it, than go through a refresher process if I give it up. And as it's been quite a while since I had a Review, I have to get it done by the end of February, or I'll be in danger of losing my APC.

Midwifery ePortfolio
Over the next few days I'll be talking about my midwifery practice. These blog posts will then be integrated into my ePortfolio. What I hope to do is present my ePortfolio to the Review Committee as opposed to a paper file.

There are a few issues I will have to sort out, such as how to present confidential client information.

Any thoughts on how to do that?


Image: 'It's a GIRL!!!' christyscherrer
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48819968@N00/69174923

No comments: