Thursday, February 26, 2009

Talking to young people in aged care about networking

Tomorrow I am talking to a group of young people who work in aged care about how to use the Internet to build networks. I wouldn't normally be allowed to join the group because their definition of "young" is up to the age of 40, so that rules me out. But being that I am a speaker to the group, I have a special dispensation to attend.

Plan
To be honest, I haven't given my talk much thought up to now. I had planned on reguritating a similar talk I gave at the Aged Care Queensland conference last November. But some of the people coming to the meeting tomorrow may also have been to the November conference, so I need to put a slightly different slant on things. I also have to remember that my audience will be slightly younger than I am used to talking to - the 'dreaded' Generation Y. So whilst it would be easy to assume that they know about social networking, that may not actually be the case.

Key points
Here are some ideas for my talk:
  • Why networking is important as a young person starting off in a profession.
  • What an online network is.
  • What online social networking can offer a young professional.
  • How to build a network.
  • What issues you need to consider with online networking.
  • Some tools to consider using.
Is there anything you think I could add? What points do you think it is important for me to include in my talk?


Image: 'Happyness' zanzibar
www.flickr.com/photos/32585800@N00/200769296

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no words of wisdom.
Alas I had to stop in my tracks at being 'young' in someones eyes. And seriously? I'm not generation X? I always thought I was.
Dang.

Sarah Stewart said...

I still feel like I am 20, or at least 25. But I know that when young people look at me now, they see an 'old' person, which really frightens me when I think about it.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm in the group classified as young here, and I don't think of you as old.

Sarah Stewart said...

Thank you sweetie :)