Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Trip of a lifetime to Pakistan

I have been honoured to have been invited to the Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan. I will be working with the Faculty of Health and Ass. Professor Rafat Jan to look at e-learning in the midwifery program. I am leaving New Zealand on the 15th August and get back on the 30th August.

We have planned four outcomes from my trip:

1. Provide information about how midwifery education is provided in New Zealand, focusing at blended delivery and elearning models that could be transported into the Pakistan context.
2. Provide information about eLearning models, theory and tools that can be utilised in the Pakistan context: -
3. Develop a pilot online midwifery course to trial to a small number of students.
4. Development of a draft of an article for publication about our online collaboration over the last 3 years.

As you can see, life is going to be very busy. But I have a couple of days off so I hope to do some sight-seeing and get a feel for the culture in Karachi. I am a tad nervous about going in view of security, but Rafat managed to twist my arm when she told me the shopping was superb.

I've had a jab for every complaint under the sun and been given strict instructions to avoid cuddling dogs (and men) that are foaming at the mouth. I will be there during Ramadan, so what with fasting all day...and catching the "Karachi Trots", I am hoping to come back three stone lighter!!

I would love to hear from anyone who has been to Karachi and Pakistan - what would you recommend I do and see when I am there? What tips about safe travel would you give me?


Image: 'A Beautiful Night View Of Adnan Asim's+Karachi+City.+Also+Mazar-e-Quaid—+The+Mausoleum+Is+Viewable+In+The+Picture'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17255092@N00/1572489310
Muhammad Adnan Asim

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hope you have a great trip Sarah. Look forward to hearing how it all goes.

Sarah Stewart said...

Thanks, Carolyn. watch this space!!

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry I have no tips for the travel (never visited Pakistan) but so excited for you and eager to hear all about the trip and what you accomplish there - what a fantastic opportunity! You rock!

Sarah Stewart said...

Thank you, LaDonna. It will certainly put me into a whole other zone...I am very privileged to be given the opportunity

WiseWoman said...

I'm really proud of you, Carolyn. Can't wait to read your travel log and get an idea of how it is in Pakistan.

Have a great time. Gloria