Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The need for support in the workplace

The one thing that has really stood out as I learn about aged and community care in Queensland is the desperate need that people feel for support in the workplace. Much of that is because of the huge geographical distances that isolate people. But a lot is also because of shortage of staff, and high staff turnover. One result is that people are being put into jobs they know nothing about.

Who needs eMentoring?

As I have been talking to staff about the eMentoring project I am managing, I am finding that it is the people at management level who seem to be more interested in being mentored. I have had a number of managers as far up as CEO level who want to be hooked up with someone who will support them as they grapple with issues such as funding and staff management.

This begs the question: why aren't caregivers and nurses getting in touch with me? Are managers gate-keeping? Are the barriers I mentioned in my previous post too much for them?

Positives
I have had some extremely positive reactions to the project, and have met some very enthusiastic managers who are willing to support their staff to join the project. But will 'support' be enough, or will the proof of the pudding be in the eating - in other words, I suspect the 'support' staff will value most is paid time off to take part in mentoring activities, but I am not sure that will be provided to any great extent.

If you are a manager, how do you motivate staff to engage with workplace learning?


Image: 'All For One and One for All' foundphotoslj
www.flickr.com/photos/82312837@N00/1134150364

No comments: