Sunday, March 22, 2009

This Union girl's night out with Brisbane Broncos

As some of you know, I am a great rugby union fan, avid supporter of the Super 14 Highlanders and England rugby teams. But I became a turn-coat on Friday when I went to my first rugby league game, and watched the Brisbane Broncos beat the Melbourne Storm. The game was quick and exciting, but I missed the rugged stuff that goes on in union games.

Building a new stadium in Dunedin
The thing that really blew me away was the Suncorp stadium which is a fabulous sporting venue. Mind you, our seats were second row from the top - it was so high up, I felt quite sick and giddy when I first sat down. But it did get me thinking about the controversy about the new stadium that is being built in Dunedin.


I am not going to go on too much about it here - have a look at Leigh Blackall's commentary which more or less sums up how I feel about the issue.

Yes, it would be fabulous to have a new stadium like the Brisbane Suncorp stadium. But I just cannot see how we can support it when you compare the revenue gained from the few thousand supporters that go to Highlander games to the 40,000 thousand plus who go every week to Bronco games.

No comments: