Tuesday, June 3, 2008

When midwives turn mean!

Those of you who follow this blog know two things about me. Firstly, I am English and came to New Zealand 11 years ago. The second thing you will know is that I am feeling a little left out of things because all my colleagues, and half the international midwifery population has gone to the ICM conference in Glasgow, and I'm stuck here in New Zealand holding the fort.

My mean best friend
So you'd think my best friends and midwifery colleagues would be very supportive. After all, not only am I missing the biggest midwifery party in the last three years, but I also missing out on a visit 'home' and catching up with all my favorite things like jaffa cakes, walnut whips and Marks and Spencer's knickers, all the things that are dear to an English ex-pat.

You'd think there's be a little sensitivity displayed by my especially best friend, Associate Professor Deborah Davis whilst she is in Glasgow!? Wouldn't you!?

But...oh no!

Here she is, rubbing in the salt!

Wait until she gets home!!

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

I am sure you can think of lots of 'nice' surprises to 'welcome' Deb back into her chair in the midwifery school on her return.

Sarah Stewart said...

The same will be waiting for you - see the next post!

Anonymous said...

No fair, now I'm totally craving Jaffa Cakes too!!!

Do you think you'll get a flood of Jaffa Cakes in the mail from supportive readers in the UK? What is the real power of the web if not for this?!

Sarah Stewart said...

You know, Claire, that's what I was hoping. I have had one offer - I should set up a special 'jaffa cake donation' PO Box, shouldn't I?!