Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sick of spam


I am afraid I am going to have to do something I swore I would never do...and turn on 'word verification'. This means you will have to verify a word before you can post a comment. I didn't want to use this feature because I believe it reduces the spontaneity of commenting, but I have started getting so much spam that I have no choice.

Do you have any other suggestions about how I can solve the spam problem without having to resort to word verification?

6 comments:

Hervé said...

Anybody with the answer to your query would become very rich very fast (I am still working on it). Well over 90% of the traffic on the internet is spam...

InfoMidwife said...

No Sarah,,, don't know what the answer is... although I have not used word verification yet.... have thought of it...but find it annoying when I have to use it so havent done it.... dont know what the answer is....glad to see it is clear readable writing...

InfoMidwife said...

opps said I dont use word veri.... but I do... sorry it comes up automatically so I didnt change it.....

Sarah Stewart said...

Hello Herve and Infomidwife, I have found an increase in talk about spam on blogs at the moment so am wondering is the problem has suddenly got worse.

Sarah Stewart said...

Blow me...still getting spam despite turning on word verification!!!

Sarah Stewart said...

Right, I'm going to try something different. I've turned word verification off again and turned on moderation on posts longer than 14 day old. Will be interesting to see how that works.