Friday, August 8, 2008

How well do you know your family?

I have been married for 23 years to Mark, and my daughter, Ellen, is 20 years old, so I am fairly confident that I know them both extremely well. But on Thursday I was proved wrong.

Making assumptions
Mark and Ellen came to my blogging workshop. When I asked them if they'd like to come with me a week ago, they both instantly said 'yes'...without any argument or discussion. I thought that was very sweet of them...wanting to come and support me. But I thought they'd moan like mad and complain about it, and make me suffer and say that I 'owed' them. I believed they thought my blogging was a waste of time and viewed it as one of my rather silly obsessions.

Blown away
But I was gobsmacked to find out that they both have a genuine interest in blogging. Not only that, but they have put some thought to it and know exactly what they want their blogs to achieve.

Mark is going to record all the amazing, interesting facts and resources he finds on the Internet. And Ellen is going to use her blog to record her progress through university and develop her writing skills, which hopefully will eventuate in articles being published in university magazines.

A secret nickname
I also found out that Mark had a nickname as a teenager- mystic mazz - I never knew that! He is going to adopt it for his blog.

Having to eat my hat
So I have to eat my very uncharitable words about them. At the same time, I am very excited that they have picked this up. I hope they find blogging to be as much fun as I have. The only snag to all this is there are going to be even more fights to get on the home computer.


Image: 'We've got Sole' John Carleton
www.flickr.com/photos/60717073@N00/317231757

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

I have a solution to your problem. Get one each!! Hubby and I both have one, we can email each other across the lounge :) Saves arguments and provides a backup when one or other break down, a common situation for me.

Sarah Stewart said...

I'm thinking I might get him one of those little $500 Asus lap tops. Then I can borrow it when I travel.

Blogger In Middle-earth said...

Kia ora Sarah!

Aren't families wonderful things? So there y'go, and you thought they wouldn't be interested. Well you know what thought did!

Well done that you sowed the seed and your fertile minded family nourished the germinating seedlings. It's reaping the harvest that's the ticket. I wish you well with your blogger family Sarah!

Ka kite anō

Sarah Stewart said...

Thanks so much for that. The question remains to be seen as to how they sustain their blogging.

Couldn't get my 18 year old son interested though. But I think he spends a lot of time on Bebo.