Thursday, March 6, 2008

31 Days to Building a Better Blog: Day 23



I am plodding on with the 31 Day Blog Challenge and have got to Day 23. I must admit to being very bored with it now and have moved on to other projects: my ePortfolio, as well as developing a paper supporting my aim to make some midwifery courses into open access resources for the international midwifery community. I have also joined another open access course being offered by Otago Polytechnic:Designing for flexible learning practice. But, I am determined not to admit defeat and am plodding on.

Today's challenge involves checking my blog for dead end links. There is nothing more frustrating for the reader to follow a link and find it is no longer connected to anything. If this happens consistently, one's reputation as a blogger will be affected. I certainly do not have the time to check all the links on my blog so I used two free online programs to do it for me: W3C Link Checker (as suggested by Sue Waters) and Dead-Links.

W3C Link said I had 3 links missing whereas only 1 was missing in reality. Dead-Links said I had a lot more missing and the ones I checked appeared to be fine. I got bored with checking them all and did not find the report anything as user friendly as the W3C Link report. So I would stick with W3C Link.

Incidentally, I have a guest blogger appearing soon who will fulfill the requirements for Day 21 so keep an eye out for that.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Mysterious and interesting.

Sarah Stewart said...

Ah ha, all part of my devious strategy to attract more readers!