Thursday, March 6, 2008

Designing flexible learning: an open access course available for you

I have just joined another open access course which follows on from the one I did last year. This course is 'Designing for flexible learning practice' which is being offered by Otago Polytechnic and run by Leigh Blackall and Bronwyn Hegarty. All the details about the course can be found on Wikieducator.

I think I'll be a 'proper' student this time and enroll from the beginning. But I am concerned that I will get distracted from my PhD, which I am in the throes of finishing off this year. So what I have decided to do is use this course to help me with my discussion/recommendations chapter.

To cut a long story short, I am running a RCT comparing e-mentoring with traditional support and professional development for health professionals. The e-mentoring system has not engaged the participants at all. So I am going to use this course to have another look at the system and come up with a plan for re-developing it. This will then go into my PhD thesis - killing two birds with one stone!

Image: 'I am thy father’s spirit....'
www.flickr.com/photos/13774211@N00/138014942