Sunday, January 13, 2008

Wanted - Myles midwifery textbook

I am collecting a very well known midwifery textbook called "Textbook for midwives" by Margaret Myles, later fondly known as 'Myles Midwifery'. I am looking for editions 1 (1953), 2 (1955) and 3 (1958). So if anyone has an old copy they would like to sell, please let me know.

Eventually, I aim to collect all the editions and then carry out an analysis of how this core textbook has changed over the years, not just the textbook itself but also the information it contains.

7 comments:

Leigh Blackall said...

Perhaps you could find out if the copyright still stands, or negotiate a release and we can use the Wikibooks as a process in your analysis. We did something similar with Ruth Lawson in the Polytech for their Anatomy and Physiology of Animals. Hope you're keen, its an exciting process, especially when the free translations start happening!

Leigh Blackall said...

correct link

Sarah Stewart said...

Its defintely a project that will have to wait until after I have finished my PhD.

But there's something about having the actual books on my shelf. Also, because they will be older copies, you never know what you'll find in them, like written messages or signatures, to give you a clue about who owned the book.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a PhD in itself - potentially. You could start an ideas for PhD's slot Sarah - so you yourself don't go busying yourself with distractions when you know what you should be working on...

Sarah Stewart said...

Something for me to do when I have a 'spare' minute!

Anonymous said...

Judith Godden and Jane Allnutt did a content analysis of Maggie Myles textbooks several years ago at a conference at Sydney Uni

Sarah Stewart said...

I thought that there would be a good chance that someone had done soemthing similar - do you have a reference or their contact details, history buff? I cannot find them on google.