Thursday, January 3, 2008

The best post I read in 2007

Naming one post as the best post in the whole year is virtually impossible to do because I have read so many excellent and varied posts. But here are a few that really stand out for me.

Sue Waters has written a number of excellent posts about 'how to' with regards on online tools. In particular I have used information from her blog and wiki to make slidecasts, effectively utilize Flickr and improve my presentation skills.

Darren Rouse (Problogger) has been a real inspiration. Darren specializes in writing advice about blogging which I have found to be invaluable as a newbie blogger. Whilst his advice is directed toward people wanting to make money out of blogging, the majority of the information he passes on is equally as relevant to non-profit bloggers. At the moment I am paying particular attention to his tips on how to increase readership.

Throughout the year I have thought a lot about identity both in the real and virtual worlds. Michelle Martin has written a number of posts about this issue which has really helped me to clarify my thoughts on the question. Her post "Is An Online Identity Necessary and What Should You Do to Maintain It?" was quite liberating and really made me think about transparency of identity which has ultimately helped me to be a lot more confident about how I am especially in my dealings with other people.

Finally, the question of community has been one that I have engaged with in a number of forums and I have found Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach to have been one of the most articulate writers about this topic. In her post "Community: Personal Reflections from Then and Now" Sheryl summarizes what community means, particularly in relation to education and learning. Earlier in 2007 she wrote an equally thoughtful post on how to build online communities. These posts are very good places to start if you are trying to get your head around what a community or community of learning/practice is, especially in a virtual sense. The challenge for me is to see how mentoring can be provided in a virtual community setting.

What has been the most influential blog you you have read recently?

Image: 'Post Box/Mail Box. Winckley Square,North-Side.' David
www.flickr.com/photos/93607213@N00/73627419

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah - thanks for the mention. I am glad that my "how to" posts have been of great help for you. I hope you are enjoying Flickr?

Choosing the most influential blogs is hard because I subscribe to close to 200 however amongst those I do have favourites (that makes me feel like I am choosing between my kids). Definitely Michele Martin, Beth Kanter, Alan Levine (Cog Dog blog), Darren Draper, Kate Foy, Sarah Stewart ( :( ), Martin Weller (from the Ed Tech blog), one page guide's from Tim's blog just to name a few. If you like Darren's you should also check out Skelliewag's blog.

Sue Waters
Mobile Technology in TAFE

Sarah Stewart said...

I'm really loving FlickR especially since you put me onto the site that gives you instant access to photos that have creative commons license. I have had a number of compliments about my presentation slides which is thanks to you and your advice. So thanks for that.