Tuesday, May 6, 2008

31 Day Comment Challenge - Day 4

Day 4 of the 31 Day Comment Challenge is to ask a question on a blog as a means of engaging with the blogger and other readers.

CEO of Otago Polytechnic
Phil Kerr is my boss. He is the CEO of the institution that I work in - Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, New Zealand. Phil is a very forward-thinking man who has some great ideas including supporting creative commons licensing of staff work as well as open access to education courses.

Phil has an update that he emails to staff in which he updates us all about what is going on. But in an effort to engage more openly with staff, he started using a blog to disseminate the update.

Different uses of a blog
I know there are many uses of a blog and people like Stephen Downes uses it very effectively to disseminate information to people in a newsletter sort of approach. But I haven't found Phil's blog to be very engaging - I am just as happy to receive Phil's update by email. As much as I really appreciate Phil's effort to be more open with staff I wasn't really sure that Phil 'got' blogging. For example, he hasn't explained to readers how to subscribe to the blog so that it is easy to receive posts.

My question to Phil
I had decided to stop using Phil's bog and revert back to email but before I did, I thought I would try to find out why Phil decided to use a blog. So I asked him why he decided to use that approach. He explained that it was in an effort to reach staff in an open format but he has been disappointed that people have not engaged with it.

So my question for this challenge is to ask people on Phil's blog why they feel it hasn't worked that well. The aim for this question is to get feedback for Phil and to explain a little about what blogging is and what it involves.

Tips about blogging for my boss
So if you are interested in my question to my boss, please pop across to his blog and give him some feedback. I am really interested to see what others think - does this newsletter approach work? I would like to see him take more of a personal approach to blogging. I would love to know more about his views and beliefs especially as I have nothing to do with him on a face-to-face basis.

What do you think?

comment08

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, popped past Phil's blog and shared my thoughts. Also provided some links worth checking out.

Sarah Stewart said...

Thanks for that, Sue. I was hoping you would. I do not want to bombard Phil but I will point him to your blogs if/when he wants to know more about blogging.