Monday, May 19, 2008

Video, kissing and Ina May Gaskin

I have talked in previous posts about how we can use video and audio to tell and share midwifery stories and teaching resources. Here is a lovely example that I found on YouTube.

Ina May Gaskin talking about natural childbirth
Ina May Gaskin is an American midwife who has had an amazing influence on the way women and midwives think about childbirth over the last thirty years. She is one of the key international childbirth 'gurus' in the world and a great proponent of natural childbirth. Her work with birthing mothers at The Farm is legendary and truly inspiring.

Connecting with people on YouTube
But the chances of actually meeting her are very slim for most people. So video and audio that is shared on web sites like YouTube gives us a chance to connect with her and hear her ideas in a way that would otherwise be denied us.

Making connections with people in shared spaces is one of the reasons I want to explore the possibilities of video/audio. I want to be able to make my own connections and facilitate them for the students I teach and the midwives I work with.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKDqnAktGiM

2 comments:

Lisa Barrett said...

Great post title.

Sarah Stewart said...

So glad you saw it, Lisa. I wrote it specially for you!! :)