Which of your posts have generated the most comments?
My top posts are a mix of topics:
- Talking about clinical practice on the Internet 19 comments
- Midwives who are inspiring 24
- Advice to student midwives 14
- Blogs for student midwives 14
- Twin birth video 15
- Pregnancy ultrasound scans 15
- Leaving comments on my blog 18
- Improving presentation skills 16
The posts with the 'best' conversation are not necessarily the ones with the biggest number of comments.
- What has web 2.0 got to do with catching babies - evolved into discussion about evidence-based midwifery practice.
- Pregnant women having too many scans? - discussion about effectiveness of scans versus assessment using traditional skills.
- Web 2.0 teacher - discussion about using technology in teaching.
- Excluding midwives from learning - examination of midwives' use of technology for learning.
- Advice to midwifery students - conversation about 'surviving' life as a student midwife.
I cannot really see a pattern - there appears to be a wide range of topics and type of post that attract comments.
If you do see a pattern or commonality between posts that generate good comments, what can you do to increase those qualities in other posts?
The commonality appears to be when there is a difference of opinion between readers. It does not necessarily lead to an argument, but I find it difficult to judge what will spark conversation. I do not deliberately set out to be contentious and often posts that I think will attract attention do not, and visa versa.
A comment strategy?
To be honest, I don't know if I can come to any conclusion doing this audit. For example, the post that I thought was one of my most 'boring' posts attracted the most attention. Yet, the post that I wanted to create discussion only attracted comments from two of my immediate colleagues. So I cannot see rhyme or reason to what attracts comments on this blog.
I will continue with my strategy of trying to write interesting post titles and asking questions to attract readers and generate conversation but other than that, I do not have a specific plan for generating comments.
What attracts you to make comments on this or other blogs? What type of posts do you find attracts comments to your blog, if you are a blogger?
Image: 'The Evilution of Communication' Torley